A few wrinkles are inevitable, especially around your mouth and eyes. Those wrinkles can give you a certain charm and uniqueness, but if you don’t like them, you can do a few things to slow their onset. Taking care of your skin, using a few at-home treatments, and applying makeup with care will all help minimize smile lines so you can look your best at any age.
Taking Care of and Protecting Your Skin
1Wear sunscreen. When you’re out in the sun, you should protect your skin with a broad spectrum (UVA and UVB) sunscreen that’s at least SPF 30. It’s also a good idea to pick a sunscreen with a physical blocking agent, such as zinc oxide.
- It also helps to put on a wide-brimmed hat to block out the rays.
- Don’t just put on sunscreen when you’re headed to the pool. Try using a daily moisturizer with a built-in sunscreen all year round. You can even buy moisturizers with sunscreen that are made just for your face.
- While a daily sunscreen is beneficial, you should apply a regular sunscreen if you’re going to be out in the sun for extended periods, particularly if you’re getting wet or toweling off.
2Apply moisturizer daily. Use a facial moisturizer every day on your skin, as that will help keep your skin happy and healthy. Healthy skin doesn’t show as many lines as dry, unhealthy skin. Apply moisturizer after washing your face in the morning and at night.
- Don’t forget to look for a daytime moisturizer with a built-in sunscreen.
- Using a quarter-sized amount of moisturizer, start at the top of your nose and rub it up and outward across your forehead. Starting at your nose, rub it outward on your cheeks and then down around your mouth. Use small circles to ensure it gets rubbed in well.
3Avoid letting your face touch the pillow. When you put pressure on your face, you increase the likelihood of developing facial lines like smile lines. Try to sleep on your back, or if you sleep on your side, position your head so your face doesn’t rest on the pillow.
- Try using a silk pillowcase, which can minimize pull on your skin.
- Similarly, try not to lean on your hands during the day.
4Stop or avoid smoking. You probably know that smoking causes a host of health issues. You may not realize that it can cause you to age prematurely. It can cause a breakdown of collagen in the skin, making wrinkles more apparent.
- If you want to stop smoking, talk to your doctor. Try using a smoking aid like nicotine patches or gum.
- Enlist the help of your family. If they know you want to quit, they can help you avoid temptation.
5Get your daily requirement of water. Your skin needs water to stay hydrated. If you’re constantly dehydrated, lines will be more pronounced and your skin won’t be as healthy. You should average about 15.5 cups (3.7 L) of liquid a day if you’re a man and 11.5 cups (2.7 L) per day if you’re a woman.
Using Temporary Remedies
1Use a mixture of sugar and coconut oil. Combine equal parts of coconut oil and brown sugar in a small bowl. Use your fingers to massage it into the fine lines around your mouth before rinsing it off. This procedure exfoliates the skin, but it also causes a little bit of swelling, which helps reduce the look of smile lines.
2Plump up your lips and mouth area with eye cream. Applying an eye cream around your lips can moisturize and help fill in lines. You’ll need to apply it twice a day – when you wake up and before you go to bed.
- Look for products that say they can boost elastin, which will help reduce the appearance of lines.
- Check for active ingredients like vitamin C, retinol, peptides, hydroxy acids, coenzyme Q10, niacinamide, grape seed extracts, and tea extracts.
- In addition, these treatments can boost collagen production.
3Try a collagen-boosting treatment. Talk to your doctor about retinoids, vitamin C serum, and glycolic-acid peels, which can stimulate collagen production. Wrinkles appear because collagen breaks down as you age. By replacing some of that collagen over time, you may reduce the look of fine lines like smile lines.
- These products are ones you apply every day that contain ingredients that boost collagen. Look for the words “collagen-boosting.” They may also be labeled “anti-wrinkle” creams. They can also act as moisturizers.
- You’ll need to apply this treatment every day for it to be beneficial, but you can see results over the long term. You should see some results in the first week.
- Try a serum with hyaluronic acid, which can help moisturize your skin and boost collagen at the same time.
- Prescription versions will have a higher concentration of ingredients, so they will likely be more effective.
Avoiding Smile Lines in Your Makeup
1Keep your makeup light. If you put too much makeup on your face, it tends to exaggerate your smile lines. Therefore, apply any foundation with a light hand to minimize smile lines.
2Apply a moisturizer before you apply makeup. Use a facial moisturizer around your mouth to help reduce the appearance of smile lines. Also, apply a lip balm to your lips to increase moisture to the area.
- You can also try dabbing on a bit of olive oil or coconut oil at night to help moisturize your lips.
4Add foundation lightly with a foundation brush. If you use your fingers or even a sponge, you’ll likely get your foundation on too thick. Instead, use a foundation brush to add a light layer of foundation across your face, making sure to blend it in as you go.
- In fact, you may even want to choose a different makeup altogether, such as a tinted moisturizer, as the lightness of the product will help reduce the appearance of smile lines.
- Avoid using powder, as it can cake in the lines, accentuating them rather than hiding them.
5Put on lip liner and lipstick properly. If you don’t put on lip liner, lipstick has a tendency to feather out into your fine lines. Lip liner acts as a barrier, preventing lipstick from feathering. Apply it all around your lips. For lipstick, choose a long-lasting lipstick or stain, which is more likely to stay in place than a normal lipstick.
- Blot your lips after applying lipstick to keep it from bleeding.
- If you don’t like the look of lip liner, try using an invisible lip liner. You can also use a nude highlighter pencil to go around the outside of your lips instead.
You’re helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow’s mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
Trek to Teach is a nonprofit organization that sends fluent English speakers to teach in Nepal near the Himalayas. In addition to teaching, Trek to Teach strengthens local communities by helping schools build infrastructure, paint their classrooms, and find furniture.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to Trek to Teach on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping people learn how to do anything.
- A low-glycemic diet may improve skin tone and help minimize wrinkles. Avoid sugary foods and focus your diet on lean meats and vegetables.
- Managing your stress levels through regular exercise can help minimize premature aging due to stress and anxiety. If you feel very stressed or anxious try meditation to ease your worries.
- If you already have deep smile lines you’re concerned about, talk to your dermatologist about cosmetic procedures that can minimize their appearance. Laser treatments and dermal fillers are two options that can lessen the appearance of smile lines. Your doctor can advise on what makes the most sense for your skin.
Sources and Citations